Sunday, July 11, 2010

We'll call this one: Photogenic

A Trip Back to the City
Anna, Lauren, and I took another visit to the Sep. this last Thursday, the only thing was I was already tired from the Tanach Show and we took a bus and didn't know where to get off...and I was just the littlest bit cranky...anyway it went alright after I got a soda in my stomach.
Here is a shot of one of the streets near the Church. Notice the man holding the tray, they use these in the City to carry around Coffee and Tea.
Here is a nice picture of the ladder thats been sitting on the Church for over 100 years. No one can agree on who put it there so here it sits, waiting to petrify. A cross leaning against the front of the Chruch. I am assuming this is the one that the Monks use when walking the Via Del Arosa each day.




The following are so (I am shocked really) amazing shots I got of the prayer candles surronding the tomb in the Church. I can't believe that came out! Mind you I felt kind of terrible for taking pictures around people praying, so I hurried and then waited in line to inside the tomb with Lauren and Anna, who remembered to bring her rosery this time around.




We'll call this one: Anna's Step. Mostly because Anna is interested in the story behind it. Just like the ladder that no one can agree on. The Monks and Priests argue over who owns the right to clean that little stone slab at the bottom of the staircase. They argue each day over weather it is actually a step or just a part of the staircase. Who knows? Anyway we ended the trip with some falafel from Damascus gate, well I did. She I purchased one, and when the girls went to ask for theirs, they said they were out of food for the day (which is why I kept rushing the ladies to get to the stand), so then we had to walk to another and less tasty place to get the rest of our supper. One thing you should know about the Old City if you ever get a chance to visit, is that most of the shops close around 6 or 7 because men like to go home for dinner. Really you should get to the Falafel stand around 5 or earlier. Also, don't take the bus in the late afternoon, because it's rush hour and getting around takes forever! I miss the subway....



I just wanted to include this picture of a crow from my bedroom window (if you click on it, it may enlarge). Crows here are not completely black, but have a grey body. They remind me of old men because they have grey hair and never stop complaining (lol). Also, every evening before bed, we have to listen to the sound of distant fireworks. My room mate Sana tells me they are to celebrate weddings. They will even shot guns off to celebrate a marriage. Really not my favorite thing, because it sounds like explosions, but I guess I will just have to get used to it. But how am I supposed to know if it's the real thing? Thats what I want to know!



Oh Mommy, for you. When we were in the Old City we met an ugly kitten who was stuck and screaming. So I helped him down. But I wanted to show him to you because I know you love ugly kittens. Also, for everyone else: We found a street fair and they were selling "Cat Whistles" there. I thought this must be like a Dog Whistle and didnt think anything of it. But then we kept hearing the sound of screaming kittens everywhere we turned and we couldn't figure out where in the heck these cats where... It was the whistles! Have you ever heard of this?


Also for sale at the fair were these wonderful colorful puppets. They had every character and animal you could think of, so I had to show you, because they were so pretty to look at. I ended up buying a handmade hair clip made from a real rose. I guess this lady makes these clips from different mediums and resin, and they are really neat. It was a great find and for not so much money. I will get you the web site so you can see her other products.



On going back to the Shook...
I made Chili! and it came out! Mmmmmm. Other than the fact that I had to pay $10 for a pound of beef, (maybe because it's Kosher) it was a great investment. I know have lunch for the entire week...literally, seven meals, plus enough to feed three others after I made it! Yum!


While I was making Chili, Anna was cleaning our porch. Thanks Anna, this was great of you! Now we can enjoy it. They only thing is that porch was so dirty that now its still half dirty...we have decided to clean in waves. I also tried to clean the shower, to no avail. I may try again tomorrow to finish it.



Here is the first stage of Chili; cooking the veggies... thats ginger in there!
This is bascially the finished product... kind of. It got thicker and looked more like Chili when it was done. Yum.
Anyway yall, see you soon.
Love you,
Claire in Israel









1 comment:

  1. So, I see a cookbook. Looks like just my kind. Your pics are spectacular. I enjoy each and every one. I think Tom mentioned on your facebook that your blogs are a highlight, I agree. I look each and every day to see if something new is up. Please continue to keep us posted this way. People are reading even when you do not get comments. Talk with you soon. Love~Imma

    ReplyDelete